Is our Cultural doctrines truth or tradition?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    kerwin
    Participant

Scripture says this

Leviticus 20:7-16Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

7 Sanctify yourselves therefore, and be ye holy: for I am the Lord your God. 8 And ye shall keep my statutes, and do them: I am the Lord which sanctify you.

9 For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.

10 And the man that committeth adultery with another man’s wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour’s wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death. 11 And the man that lieth with his father’s wife hath uncovered his father’s nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. 12 And if a man lie with his daughter in law, both of them shall surely be put to death: they have wrought confusion; their blood shall be upon them. 13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. 14 And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you. 15 And if a man lie with a beast, he shall surely be put to death: and ye shall slay the beast. 16 And if a woman approach unto any beast, and lie down thereto, thou shalt kill the woman, and the beast: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Our culture disagrees with these words.  Is the teaching of our culture truth or tradition?

Proclaimer
    Participant

If you are from the US, then your culture is based on many things including Christian teaching. Jesus said, “he who is without sin, throw the first stone”.

True faith in God has transitioned toward grace from the law. While both are valid, grace has been introduced which was made possible by the work of the cross.

kerwin
    Participant

@t8,

Should we have no one in prison as there few saints to convict them of their crimes  Using Jesus words to say that we should not is a flawed argument as  Jesus was not speaking against punishing the guilty he was teaching mercy.  God has had mercy on each person that sinned and therefore they should have mercy on others.

There is a couple parables that apply.   One is where a man is forgiven his debts and then goes and mercilessly demands a man that owes him pay him.   The other is of the vine that the gardener spared in hopes it would grow fruit if babied.

kerwin
    Participant

@t8,

There was grace under the law.

Isaiah 26:10New International Version (NIV)

10 But when grace is shown to the wicked,
    they do not learn righteousness;
    even in a land of uprightness they go on doing evil
    and do not regard the majesty of the Lord.

Too many Christians  use grace to justify their sins.  Jesus came to save us from our sins not justify them.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,

The traditions of men bear no relationship to the ways of our Father.

Only the light can draw us from the darkness.

All that is good is of grace

Anastas
    Participant

@T8,

As you are probably aware, the oldest manuscripts omit the section you quoted from so I would be hesitant to trust its authority.

“Behold then the goodness and severity of God: upon them who have fallen, severity; upon thee goodness of God, if thou shalt abide in goodness, since otherwise thou also wilt be cut away.” Romans 11:22

I do not think any would disagree with what Leviticus says. The law is a copy of heavenly things here on earth. When the law was in effect, the judgments of God came through it. Has anything changed? Only that the judgments are no longer passed through our hands. Surely the wicked, the adulterers, and the abominable who do not repent in Christ will still face the penalty that the law says they will; That is death. Nothing has changed, only we are no longer the ones carrying out the punishment.

God is justice as much as he is grace.

As it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay.”

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi A,

Repent in Christ?

Christ has no need to repent.

Those who are in him have already passed over from death to life.Jn5

AndrewAD
    Participant

As all the “righteous” die too and earn the wage of death if that is what it is.The original”curse” was physical death.

Paul died too even though at one point he didn’t expect he would,thinking the resurrection would happen first.

In Philippians Paul seems to express his desperation,trying to earn his own personal physical resurrection or ascension.

Philipians 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

Philipians 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Philipians 3:10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

Philipians 3:11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

Philipians 3:12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.

But Paul died and the words of the teacher/Qoheleth still hold true

Ecclesiastes 9:1 For all this I considered in my heart even to declare all this, that the righteous, and the wise, and their works, are in the hand of God: no man knoweth either love or hatred by all that is before them.

Ecclesiastes 9:2 All things come alike to all: there is one event to the righteous, and to the wicked; to the good and to the clean, and to the unclean; to him that sacrificeth, and to him that sacrificeth not: as is the good, so is the sinner; and he that sweareth, as he that feareth an oath.

Ecclesiastes 9:3 This is an evil among all things that are done under the sun, that there is one event unto all: yea, also the heart of the sons of men is full of evil, and madness is in their heart while they live, and after that they go to the dead.
    <h3></h3>
    As for the truth or tradition of Leviticus I think it should be understood that this law was given to the Hebrews and it is what made them special-set them apart.The Gentiles were not under their law and are not under it today even as Christians.
    <h3></h3>

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,

Time is short.

For every man faces the breaking of the cord and the falling of the bucket to the bottom of the well eventually.[ecc 12]

What matters is that all access the water of life in the Son before that time.

He said to come to him to receive that living water

You must repent and be baptised in the name of Jesus Christ and you will receive the Holy Spirit[of life]

Accepting the traditions of men and just discussing these things is wasted time

kerwin
    Participant

Anastas,

Good point as at the time of law of Moses was put in effect it was the law of the land and people of God and so the congregation was a state. At the time the new covenant went into effect the congregation was no longer a state.

As Christians should we advocate for righteous laws and are the laws in the Law of Moses considered righteous?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KW,

Whom do we serve?

Relationships with civil authorities are specified in the scriptures but you wish to spread the mission to encompass the world?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account