what do you all think this means

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    GeneBalthrop
    Participant

He that sins little loves little ,he that sins much loves much.

Luke 7:47…..wherefore i say unto you, Her sins which are many are forgiven, For she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven the same loves little.

What say you all?

Peace and love to you all and yours…………….gene

Grasshopper
    Participant

@GeneBalthrop

That scripture is not at all implying that one of them sins more than the other. Rather, the scripture is basically saying that even though BOTH were sinners, the one who had MORE love in their heart received more forgiveness BECAUSE of that love. The one who had the lesser amount of love received the lesser amount of forgiveness.

The scripture is a testament of how valuable having “Love” within our hearts is to God.

1 Corinth 13:13
    Three things will last forever–faith, hope, and love–and the greatest of these is love.

1Corinth 13:3
    If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

~~~~~~~~~
    Grasshopper

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi.

It is the loving actions , or lack of them, towards the followers of Jesus [The body of Christ] that determines man’s future in the judgement.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Unless this is a typo, it is the opposite.

Therefore, I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much; but he who is forgiven little, loves little.”

We are taught in scripture elsewhere, that we are forgiven to the same measure we forgive others.

For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.

In other words, what sort of people should we be like? We should love much and forgive. But if we are bitter and hateful, then how do we expect God to be loving and forgiving toward us. Often it is easy to detect a person who is bitter and hateful. They never have a good word to say and rarely encourage. Rather, they are masters of criticism.

terraricca
    Participant

@t8

first it is correct but who are the characters here ? simple people with a good heart will sin more for they tend to help and many times do it wrongly and so sin more ;

on the other hand you have those bigots that pay attention to all they do and try to do the least so they would not sin ,but they also do not love much anyone but themselves ;

so we have to learn to love just as Jesus show us in scriptures

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

To all……..The key is understanding what the word “LOVE” means in the text. Remember all things boil down to LOVE AND HATE. So what does the word mean to you all, does it mean in that context “LUST”? Which is actually (inordinate desire). Was JESUS SIMLY SAYING, HE OR SHE THAT IS FORGIVEN MUCH, LUSTS MUCH?

What say you?

peace and love to you all and yours………………gene

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi GB,

Does the word used in scripture here for love also translate as LUST?

Proclaimer
    Participant

first it is correct but who are the characters here ? simple people with a good heart will sin more for they tend to help and many times do it wrongly and so sin more ;

Isn’t the verse trying to convey that if you are forgiven much you love much? If a person forgave another for a $5 debt, then that person can appreciate this. If a person forgave a person a crippling debt, chances are the appreciation would be much greater.

This is how the New Living Translation puts it.

“I tell you, her sins–and they are many–have been forgiven, so she has shown me much love. But a person who is forgiven little shows only little love.”

International Standard Version
    So I’m telling you that her sins, as many as they are, have been forgiven, and that’s why she has shown such great love. But the one to whom little is forgiven loves little.”

I guess one of the things we can glean from this is, if we are forgiven all our sins, then we should love that person with all our heart.

It also makes sense the other way round. If we love much then much is forgiven. So is it, love much and have much sin forgiven, or much sin forgiven results in much love?

Th King James 2000 puts it at the latter:

Therefore I say unto you, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little.

Proclaimer
    Participant

So we should sin much?

terraricca
    Participant

t8

let say you are a murdered and kill many steal many ;but when you come to Christ you accept him and not stop sinning ,was all you did prior to know Christ did you have no true (according to those you served)loving service ;

but being a new person in Christ that now allow you to love as you should ,not like a bigot

we know that those words i believe addresses for what a adulterous women ad done to Jesus during a lunch diner invitation

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Nick……Thats what i am asking, it seems to imply lust, in the king James, i think T8, reconizes this. We all know LOVE contains a desire for something, and the word LUST means an “inordinate” desire for something. What do you believe Jesus was implying there Nick, is the question brother.

Terricca do you see where i am coming from on this one?

peace and love to you and yours……………..gene

terraricca
    Participant

hi all

but when you come to Christ you accept him and not stop sinning

THIS SHOULD BE ;BUT WHEN YOU COME TO CHRIST YOU ACCEPT HIM AND “NOW” STOP SINNING ”

THANKS

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi ,

In context

Lk7.41

” A moneylender had two debtors;one owed 500 denarii  and the other 50.

When they were unable to pay, he graciously forgave them both. So which of them will love him more?”

”for she loved much”

25 agapao from agape

Love

There is no use of this word for LUST

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,

YLT

lk 7

47 therefore I say to thee, her many sins have been forgiven, because she did love much; but to whom little is forgiven, little he doth love.’

So there is a relationship between  forgiveness and the resultant gratitude expressed in love is well shown

The wording used is awkward for us.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

To all…..1Jn 2:13-17….”love not the world nor the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the father is not in him. 15, For “ALL” that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the FATHER, but is of the world. 17, and the world is passing away, and the lust therof: but he that does the “WILL” of GOD ABIDES FOR EVER”.

I believe this is talking about the system of this present age, Because scripture also says, “This is the will of GOD, THAT WE LOVE ONE ANOTHER.”

While both love and lust seem to be forms of desires, love is an ordinate desire for others, lust is an inordinate desire for self. I believe love is out going, while lust is in going. “Love seek not her own” 1Cor 13:4.

A person who has been forgiven much may well be more appropriative, then one forgiven little.

peace and love to you all and yours. ………………..gene

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi GB,

So there is no connection between love and lust.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Nick…..I think the only connection is that both are “forms” of dessires, lust desires to satisfy itself, while love is a desire to help others. One gives while the other takes. IMO

peace and love to you and yours. ……………gene

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,

Only those who know they are sinners

know how to repent.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account