Uncomfortable

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    melissahyatt8
    Participant

Can someone help me with this? I love to minister to others about God and talk about Jesus and what He did for me but in front of alot of people I just met or groups of people I get so fearful of speaking in front of them. Why? My zeal for Jesus and my Heavenly Father is out of this world and I don’t know why I am not confident with myself at all. I grew up in a very negitive home and any focus on me was never good. I don’t like being the center of attention but I want so desperately to be able to talk about the Lord in groups or crowds of people. Or when I stand in front of a group of people. I get so nervous and my mind goes blank in what to say, I think I don’t sound like they can understand me or I black out in what I am saying and don’t even remember what i just said. If I lose all focus in what I want to say, I forget what I want to say. It is so frustrating. I joined Toastmasters a while back but at the time I started school at Bible college and I couldn’t do both. I went a few times to meetings at Toastmasters but I was a nervous wreck and all I want to do is talk about the Lord. what is wrong with me? Why is it so difficult for me to speak to groups of people? If I meet someone one on one it is so easy for me to talk to them, but two many people, fear rises up in me and I can’t control it at all. I have worked on this for over 4 years but it seems like I am getting worse not better. I gave my testamony in church to over a hundred people and I about past out and I even read it off a paper. I gave my testamony to a group of people another time and I bearly got through it. I spoke at a womens business association and I almost didn’t get through it because I was shaking in my skin. What is wrong with me?
    I have another question, I know I am supposed to honor my parents but when I tell others what I experienced as a child it doesn’t look to good on my parents. I went through alot when I was little in a very violent, chaotic stressful, negitive home in which I experienced phycial and emotional abuse. How can I tell my testimony about what I went through that helped set the course of my path and not dishonor my parents? I know God wants me to honor my parents and I want to please God. I don’t know what I am suppose to do. I want to help others with what I went through as a child but how am I suppose to honor my parents who did their best and who I am today is because of what they taught me in life. I don’t know what to do. I have a wonderful relationship now with my mother and I have always have with my dad. I do not want to dishonor them in any way. I love them both so very much. Can someone help me with all of this? I cry because I feel that I am no use to God or help in His Kingdom. I want so much to minister to others about Jesus and what He did for me. I am discouraged.

Participant

Hi melissahyatt8:

All of us in the body of Christ have faults that we need to overcome, and so, the first thing that we need to do is acknowledge our faults and then go to God in prayer asking Him to help us to overcome our faults. I am praying for you.

If you feel comfortable witnessing or sharing the scriptures “one on one” do this for now. How long have you been studying the scriptures? Confidence often comes with knowing your material, but it also comes in knowing your calling. We all have different talents in the body of Christ, and so, use what you have for now,and God if He sees fit can promote you and give you additional talents.

All of us as parents have made mistakes and so, I do not believe that you are dishonoring your parents by saying that they did make mistakes. Are they Christians? The Apostle Paul in speaking to children states: “Children obey your parents in the Lord”, and so, this is part of honoring your parents if they are Christians, but if they are not, you would not want to obey something that comes from them that is contrary to the Word of God, but you would still want to show that you respect them. We, as Christians, should live our lives by the Golden rule treating others, including our parents, like we would like to be treated whether or not we are treated that way.

2 tim 2:15 “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”

I hope this will help.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Not3in1
    Participant

Welcome Mel!

So glad that you are here, it sounds like you have a real heart for the Lord, and for our heavenly Father. I'll be back later tonight to read your full post. But I just wanted to give a shout out while I was here checking in….

Love,
    Mandy

Lightenup
    Participant

Hi Melissa,
    You might have trouble speaking to a group but you don't have any trouble writing to a group. :) You have expressed yourself very well. I just want to give you a big hug and encourage you. It is going to be all right. You will get better at speaking to groups.

It is possible that you are experiencing something very normal and it is possible that you are experiencing a spiritual attack as well, maybe both. I am going to give you a website that I have been reading lately that speaks about spiritual warfare and suggests how to respond.

http://www.creation-science-prophecy.com/winning.htm

Maybe that can help. God will give you the victory, hang in there.

Many blessings,
    Kathi

melissahyatt8
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ June 12 2009,13:22)
    Hi melissahyatt8:

All of us in the body of Christ have faults that we need to overcome, and so, the first thing that we need to do is acknowledge our faults and then go to God in prayer asking Him to help us to overcome our faults.  I am praying for you.

If you feel comfortable witnessing or sharing the scriptures “one on one” do this for now.  How long have you been studying the scriptures?  Confidence often comes with knowing your material, but it also comes in knowing your calling.  We all have different talents in the body of Christ, and so, use what you have for now,and God if He sees fit can promote you and give you additional talents.

All of us as parents have made mistakes and so, I do not believe that you are dishonoring your parents by saying that they did make mistakes.  Are they Christians?  The Apostle Paul in speaking to children states: “Children obey your parents in the Lord”, and so, this is part of honoring your parents if they are Christians, but if they are not, you would not want to obey something that comes from them that is contrary to the Word of God, but you would still want to show that you respect them.  We, as Christians, should live our lives by the Golden rule treating others, including our parents, like we would like to be treated whether or not we are treated that way.

2 tim 2:15 “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”

I hope this will help.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Hi Marty,
    Thanks for your response, it was so quick. I have been studying the scriptures for over 4 1/2 years endlessly, day and night, meditating and even sleeping with my bible. It is my cell phone to God.
    I have a fear of people, because I know how hurtful they can be. I get upset at their hurtful behavior sometimes and anger rises in me because of the offense. I become silent and it becomes fear, not because of them but because I fear God terriably and I know if I respond irrationally I will regret it in more ways than one. I think another reason is I am not confident with myself and I need to accept myself the way God sees me and love myself more and maybe the offenses won't hurt as much. I don't know.
    Thanks for your words, I eat them up any time I get a chance. I love to express myself better in writing, but I also want to speak up for my Lord too in groups. Maybe it's just not my time yet. Thanks Marty, God Bless you!

melissahyatt8
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ June 12 2009,13:31)
    Welcome Mel!

So glad that you are here, it sounds like you have a real heart for the Lord, and for our heavenly Father.  I'll be back later tonight to read your full post.  But I just wanted to give a shout out while I was here checking in….

Love,
    Mandy

Hey Mandy,
    Thanks for checking in on my post. You are so thoughtful. I do have a burning flame of desire for our Lord and sometimes I think I'm going to go crazy if I don't have more of Him!! :D
    I think that it's supposed to be like this because I am always seeking and desiring more of Him with a passion. He is my obession! Thanks Mandy, God Bless You!

melissahyatt8
    Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ June 13 2009,01:34)
    Hi Melissa,
    You might have trouble speaking to a group but you don't have any trouble writing to a group. :)  You have expressed yourself very well.  I just want to give you a big hug and encourage you.  It is going to be all right.  You will get better at speaking to groups.

It is possible that you are experiencing something very normal and it is possible that you are experiencing a spiritual attack as well, maybe both.  I am going to give you a website that I have been reading lately that speaks about spiritual warfare and suggests how to respond.

http://www.creation-science-prophecy.com/winning.htm

Maybe that can help.  God will give you the victory, hang in there.

Many blessings,
    Kathi

Hi Kathi,
    Thanks for the encouragement. It helps me to open up more about my relationship with God. And I'll take that hug! I am a very affectionate person and I am a hugger and a kisser. Thanks so much for the website info. I will check it out. God is going to give me the victory, thanks for reminding me. I am going to stay in faith and believe He will work everything out for my good because I love Him so much and I want souls for His Kingdom. God BLess you Kathi, you are such a sweetie! :D

Cindy
    Participant

Hi Melisa! Welcome to Heaven Net. I had that trouble too, when I sang Solo in Church. That seems to be normal. I ask one of the people that also did Solo's, and He too had that problem. Even the Tenor Singer Paparazzi, when He was Interviewed , He said He always had that problem. So you are not alone in this.
    Peace and Love Irene

seekingtruth
    Participant

Quote (melissahyatt8 @ June 12 2009,07:17)
    Can someone help me with this? I love to minister to others about God and talk about Jesus and what He did for me but in front of alot of people I just met or groups of people I get so fearful of speaking in front of them. Why? My zeal for Jesus and my Heavenly Father is out of this world and I don't know why I am not confident with myself at all. I grew up in a very negitive home and any focus on me was never good. I don't like being the center of attention but I want so desperately to be able to talk about the Lord in groups or crowds of people. Or when I stand in front of a group of people. I get so nervous and my mind goes blank in what to say, I think I don't sound like they can understand me or I black out in what I am saying and don't even remember what i just said. If I lose all focus in what I want to say, I forget what I want to say. It is so frustrating. I joined Toastmasters a while back but at the time I started school at Bible college and I couldn't do both. I went a few times to meetings at Toastmasters but I was a nervous wreck and all I want to do is talk about the Lord. what is wrong with me? Why is it so difficult for me to speak to groups of people? If I meet someone one on one it is so easy for me to talk to them, but two many people, fear rises up in me and I can't control it at all. I have worked on this for over 4 years but it seems like I am getting worse not better. I gave my testamony in church to over a hundred people and I about past out and I even read it off a paper. I gave my testamony to a group of people another time and I bearly got through it. I spoke at a womens business association and I almost didn't get through it because I was shaking in my skin. What is wrong with me?
    I have another question, I know I am supposed to honor my parents but when I tell others what I experienced as a child it doesn't look to good on my parents. I went through alot when I was little in a very violent, chaotic stressful, negitive home in which I experienced phycial and emotional abuse. How can I tell my testimony about what I went through that  helped set the course of my path and not dishonor my parents? I know God wants me to honor my parents and I want to please God. I don't know what I am suppose to do. I want to help others with what I went through as a child but how am I suppose to honor my parents who did their best and who I am today is because of what they taught me in life. I don't know what to do. I have a wonderful relationship now with my mother and I have always have with my dad. I do not want to dishonor them in any way. I love them both so very much. Can someone help me with all of this? I cry because I feel that I am no use to God or help in His Kingdom. I want so much to minister to others about Jesus and what He did for me. I am discouraged.

melissahyatt8
    Welcome

I share your problem except I've been saved nearly 30 years. It used to bother me that my mind would go blank and I couldn't think of hardly a thing to say. But over time I accepted that I was not gifted for talking in front of groups but found that I could reach more through my actions and when it was appropriate God would give me the right words to say. So my advise for what it's worth is don't let it concern you just trust in God.

Remember that Moses also could not speak and God gave him Aaron, but when it came time to speak it was Moses who spoke.

Wm

melissahyatt8
    Participant

Quote (seekingtruth @ June 13 2009,14:43)

Can someone help me with this? I love to minister to others about God and talk about Jesus and what He did for me but in front of alot of people I just met or groups of people I get so fearful of speaking in front of them. Why? My zeal for Jesus and my Heavenly Father is out of this world and I don't know why I am not confident with myself at all. I grew up in a very negitive home and any focus on me was never good. I don't like being the center of attention but I want so desperately to be able to talk about the Lord in groups or crowds of people. Or when I stand in front of a group of people. I get so nervous and my mind goes blank in what to say, I think I don't sound like they can understand me or I black out in what I am saying and don't even remember what i just said. If I lose all focus in what I want to say, I forget what I want to say. It is so frustrating. I joined Toastmasters a while back but at the time I started school at Bible college and I couldn't do both. I went a few times to meetings at Toastmasters but I was a nervous wreck and all I want to do is talk about the Lord. what is wrong with me? Why is it so difficult for me to speak to groups of people? If I meet someone one on one it is so easy for me to talk to them, but two many people, fear rises up in me and I can't control it at all. I have worked on this for over 4 years but it seems like I am getting worse not better. I gave my testamony in church to over a hundred people and I about past out and I even read it off a paper. I gave my testamony to a group of people another time and I bearly got through it. I spoke at a womens business association and I almost didn't get through it because I was shaking in my skin. What is wrong with me?
    I have another question, I know I am supposed to honor my parents but when I tell others what I experienced as a child it doesn't look to good on my parents. I went through alot when I was little in a very violent, chaotic stressful, negitive home in which I experienced phycial and emotional abuse. How can I tell my testimony about what I went through that  helped set the course of my path and not dishonor my parents? I know God wants me to honor my parents and I want to please God. I don't know what I am suppose to do. I want to help others with what I went through as a child but how am I suppose to honor my parents who did their best and who I am today is because of what they taught me in life. I don't know what to do. I have a wonderful relationship now with my mother and I have always have with my dad. I do not want to dishonor them in any way. I love them both so very much. Can someone help me with all of this? I cry because I feel that I am no use to God or help in His Kingdom. I want so much to minister to others about Jesus and what He did for me. I am discouraged.

melissahyatt8
    Welcome

I share your problem except I've been saved nearly 30 years. It used to bother me that my mind would go blank and I couldn't think of hardly a thing to say. But over time I accepted that I was not gifted for talking in front of groups but found that I could reach more through my actions and when it was appropriate God would give me the right words to say. So my advise for what it's worth is don't let it concern you just trust in God.

Remember that Moses also could not speak and God gave him Aaron, but when it came time to speak it was Moses who spoke.

Wm

Dear WM,
    Thank you so much for your encouraging words. It is so comforting to know that others experience the same problem.
    What comes to mind is.. “not by might or strength, but by my power saith the Lord”. God Bless you and thank you again for your amazing words.
    Me

melissahyatt8
    Participant

Quote (melissahyatt8 @ June 14 2009,07:18)

Quote (seekingtruth @ June 13 2009,14:43)

melissahyatt8
    Welcome

Wm

Dear WM,
    Thank you so much for your encouraging words. It is so comforting to know that others experience the same problem.
    What comes to mind is.. “not by might or strength, but by my power saith the Lord”. God Bless you and thank you again for your amazing words.
    Me

I want to correct the verse that was quoted wrong,
    “not by might, nor power, but by my spirit saith the Lord of Host”. I only want to be exact when quoting God's Word. No way do I want to be wrong in that area.
    Forgive me please!
    Me

Anonymous

Hi Melissa,
    I would suggest that you pray before speaking to groups and ask God to use you and put the words in your mouth that the group you are speaking to needs to hear. Also try to meet 2 or 3 people in the group before you start speaking and when you speak, speak to those 2 or 3 and shift your eye contact between them. Hope this helps.

TechJoe

melissahyatt8
    Participant

Quote (TechJoe @ June 23 2009,17:34)
    Hi Melissa,
    I would suggest that you pray before speaking to groups and ask God to use you and put the words in your mouth that the group you are speaking to needs to hear. Also try to meet 2 or 3 people in the group before you start speaking and when you speak, speak to those 2 or 3 and shift your eye contact between them. Hope this helps.

TechJoe

Hi Techjoe,
    Thanks, any suggestions is appreciated greatly.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account