10 commandments; were they done away with?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 205 total)
  • Author
    Ed J
    Participant

Were the 10 commandments done away with?

Of course NOT!

Deut.6:1-2 Now these are the “commandments”, the “statutes”, and the “judgments”,
    which the LORD(YHVH) your God commanded to teach you, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go to possess it:
    That thou mightest fear the LORD thy God, to keep all his statutes and his commandments,
    which I command thee, thou, and thy son, and thy son's son, all the days of thy life; and that thy days may be prolonged.

In the mount of transfiguration we find three people who illustrate these three.

Moses: The Commandments; “10” in Old Testament, “2” in New Testament.
    Elijah: The Judgments; rewards and punishments.
    Jesus: The Statues; Jesus fulfilled the statues(contained in ordinances), and done away with them.

Eph.2:15: Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace.

God bless
    Ed J
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

kerwin
    Participant

The Ten Commandments are just a part of the Law that God spoke before the frightened children of Israel begged him to use Mosses as an mediator for the rest.

georg
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Nov. 21 2009,15:16)
    Were the 10 commandments done away with?

Of course NOT!

Deut.6:1-2 Now these are the “commandments”, the “statutes”, and the “judgments”,
    which the LORD(YHVH) your God commanded to teach you, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go to possess it:
    That thou mightest fear the LORD thy God, to keep all his statutes and his commandments,
    which I command thee, thou, and thy son, and thy son's son, all the days of thy life; and that thy days may be prolonged.

In the mount of transfiguration we find three people who illustrate these three.

Moses: The Commandments; “10” in Old Testament, “2” in New Testament.
    Elijah: The Judgments; rewards and punishments.
    Jesus: The Statues; Jesus fulfilled the statues(contained in ordinances), and done away with them.

Eph.2:15: Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace.

God bless
    Ed J

Exodus 34:28 So He was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights, He neither ate bread or drank water. And He wrote the words of the covenant the Ten Commandments.
    We are under a New Covenanat in
    Luke 22:19 …”This cup is the new covenant in My Blood, which is shed for you.”
    And He gave us the greatest commandments in
    Math. 22:37 “You shall love your God with all of your heart and all of your soul, and all of your mind.
    verse 38
    “This is the first and great commandment.
    verse 39
    “And the second is like it;” You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
    verse 40
    “On these two commandments hang all of the Law and the Prophets.”
    These commandments are all that Jesus gave us, are the same as the old covenant except the Sabbath. We were never under that commandment. It was a sign between God and Israel.
    Exodus 31:16 “Therfore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath throughout their generation as a perpetual covenant.
    verse 17
    “It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever….
    There you have it.
    Peace and Love Irene

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (georg @ Nov. 21 2009,17:56)
    Exodus 34:28 So He was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights, He neither ate bread or drank water.  And He wrote the words of the covenant the Ten Commandments.
    We are under a New Covenanat in
    Luke 22:19 …”This cup is the new covenant in My Blood, which is shed for you.”
    And He gave us the greatest commandments in
    Math. 22:37 “You shall love your God with all of your heart and all of your soul, and all of your mind.
    verse 38
    “This is the first and great commandment.
    verse 39
    “And the second is like it;” You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
    verse 40
    “On these two commandments hang all of the Law and the Prophets.”
    These commandments are all that Jesus gave us, are the same as the old covenant except the Sabbath.  We were never under that commandment. It was a sign between God and Israel.
    Exodus 31:16 “Therfore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath throughout their generation as a perpetual covenant.
    verse 17
    “It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever….
    There you have it.
    Peace and Love Irene

Hi Irene,

With Love in our hearts, the 10 commandments can be illustrated as Jesus taught by only 2;
    and they are easy to keep because it is our hearts desire to keep them!

Heb.10:15-17  Whereof the Holy Spirit also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
    This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord,
    I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
    And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

God bless
    Ed J

kerwin
    Participant

Ed J,

By restricting God's Law to the Ten Commandments you are violating God's command not to add or take away from the law.  That is not wise.

Galatians 5:19-21(KJV) reads:

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

I ask you “where is drukeness, revellings, wrath, strife, seditions, witchcraft, hatred, uncleanness, and lasciviousness banned in the Ten Commandments?”

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Nov. 22 2009,05:33)
    Ed J,

By restricting God's Law to the Ten Commandments you are violating God's command not to add or take away from the law.  That is not wise.

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

I ask you “where is drukeness, revellings, wrath, strife, seditions, witchcraft, hatred, uncleanness, and lasciviousness banned in the Ten Commandments?”

Hi Kerwin,

You make a valid point, if anything there are more commandments.
    But remember what Jesus said, that if you Love God first,
    and others as yourself, you will NOT do any of those things you have mentioned.
    Thanks for adding clarity; the point being that the commandments were NOT done away with!

God Bless
    Ed J

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Nov. 22 2009,02:31)

Ed J,

Hi Kerwin,

You make a valid point, if anything there are more commandments.
    But remember what Jesus said, that if you Love God first,
    and others as yourself, you will NOT do any of those things you have mentioned.
    Thanks for adding clarity; the point being that the commandments were NOT done away with!

God Bless
    Ed J

I agree that the commandments of God were not done away with but we have to remember there are more than 10.   You are correct that all God's commands are summed in the command Love your neighbor as yourself or its alternative form of Love God with all your heart, mind, spirit.

terraricca
    Participant

hi to all

Group: Members

——————————————————————————–
    hi to all,

first to Const.in your statement i understand “that some folks ad access to the holy spirit of christ “under the law or before christ coming.
    i agree with that.

now you also said if i understand it correctly that the sabath as to be observed as christian,here i disagree with you.

you also said that the new convenant as nothing to do with the old one or moses law or convenant,

so this is wath i believe;
    first Jesus said he came and fullfill the law,
    secondly Jesus said that not yota from the law will be taking away, this seams contredict in a sense,

it does totaly not contredict it self because Christ is talking of two different laws,
    1) the law of Moses implying the ten commandements.
    2) wen he talks abode that, he came to fullfill the law, this was the law of resque,to safe man from the condemnation to deth herithen from adam,now the prophetes have written abode all the things the the messaia will have to go trough ,this is so that the true believer may recognise the Christ, wath they did, in the law it is said that the one who accomplish the law will live through te law,this is wath christ came to accomplish,

regarding the law of moses ten commandement ,well someone all ready mention that for Chritians (true)walking in the spirit will free you from the law ,this does not mean that the law is abolished ,it means that the is made for the sinners,and will be applied if required,but as for christians righteousness they are not under the law because of there good deeds according to the spirit of Christ.

now as for the sabath ;the sabath in law was introdused by God to free man for one full day and in that day do not anything for themselfs
    but think abode there devotion in God.

so for christians the sabath is 24/7 nite and day at the service of God trough Christ there is no more separation in your labor ,your thinking or anything else,you are totaly comitted to God,(or should be )so observing the moses sabath is reducing your comittement to God.

if anyone can prove otherwise please let me know,I be glad to improve the truth in my heart.

————–
    PR

Report this post to a moderator

115 replies since Oct. 25 2009,08:01

kerwin
    Participant

terraricca,

The Ten Commandments is God verbal introduction to the Law of Moses and thus merely part of it.

If you walk according to the Spirit then you fruits are obedience to all the commands given by God.

The Sabbath was a holiday established for the land of Israel and for the Hebrew people by God.

terraricca
    Participant

hi kerwin
    thats exactly wath i said

thank you

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ Nov. 22 2009,09:09)
    hi kerwin
    thats exactly wath i said

thank you

Sounds good!

terraricca
    Participant

hi skt
    what is a holiday?
    AND YOUR RIGHT I DID NOT MENTION IT BUT THE 10 COMMANDMENT, INCLUDE ALL THE LAWS GIVEN TO MOSES.
    sometimes it is in my head ,and not going to my fingers.

i am not a good writer ,

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

To All……….many find trouble with the Sabbath commandment, because they look at it from a Physical stand point, and fail to see the spiritual significance of it, The Sabbath (SPIRITUALLY) picture the salvation process, we all must enter in our rests in order to be saved. What do i mean by that? It is God must put our wills to death and cause (HIS WILL) to be done in our Hearts and Minds, “FOR IT IS GOD WHO WORKS IN YOU (BOTH) TO (WILL) AND DO OF HIS GOOD PLEASURE. Notice who is doing the work in you (GOD) so two Wills cant be done at the same time right, so when are will are put to (rest) and God's will is working in us , then we are following Him and His will is being done. remember when Jesus said they (kingdom) come (how?), by THY WILL being DONE. Get it? The sabbath picture this Spiritual process and is never done away with it is how salvation operates it is eternal. IMO

peace amd love to you all…………………….gene

terraricca
    Participant

hi to gene
    I have no problem to understand the sabath in the law and the sabath of Christ .it seams that you try to make God the problem maker and solver,wen it was man,the man adam started,so God loved us so much he sacrificed is own son to pay the ranson for our live ,and you said if God s want me to be saved let him do it ,it is his problem,
    this is wath i understood from your description,is it that?

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

terraricca………..No the is not it, You couldn't be further from the truth. GOD is the beginning of (EVERYTHING) THAT EXISTS, NO MATTER WHAT OR WHO IT IS. GOD created (ALL) GOOD and EVIL (KNOWLEDGE) and placed in front of Man. And all of man by His so-called “free will Choices” , which was not (FREE at ALL) but (INFLUENCED) Choice buy the INFLUENCED will of an ADVERSARIAL SPIRIT. Man did not have the character or Knowledge to resist that (influenced will). Free Will theology is False there is no such thinf as free will, If i offer you a peace of Cherry or Apple Pie for you to chose from , which ever one you chose is (Not) the result of (FREE) Will its the result of the most influenced in you that causes you to Chose , you chose the one you liked the best , Nothing Free at all about that . Just preexisting Knowledge guiding you through and you will. All Will are (INFLUENCED WILLS That sums it up in a nut shell. IMO

peace and love to you and yours……………………….gene

terraricca
    Participant

hi gene
    thanks for the explenation ,this i will give much attention to, so i will take the time to analise it very carefully,
    because it could change my perception of things.

thank you

NickHassan
    Participant

G,
    Of course we can decide to follow Christ or not, to seek and ask and knock or decide not to.
    God is an encourager but not usually an enforcer.
    But eventually judgement does depend on those choices you make…. or choose not to make.

banana
    Participant

Ed J,

If you are referring to the Sabbath, that covenant was between the children of Israel and God.
    Exodus 31:15
    “Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generation as a perpetual covenant.
    verse 17
    “IT IS A SIGN BETWEEN ME AND THE CHILDREN OF ISRAEL FOREVER………
    We are under the new covenant in Luke 22:20,
    Jesus on the sermon on the mount magnified the Law and made it Holy. There is a difference between keeping the Old Covenant and the new. As far as keeping it in our Hearts a I agree.
    But the Sabbath was never for us to begin with.IMO

Walk in the Spirit and sin will not be imputed to us.
    Peace and Love Irene

Quote (terraricca @ Nov. 21 2009,16:38)
    hi to all

Group: Members

hi to all,

first to Const.in your statement i understand “that some folks ad access to the holy spirit of christ “under the law or before christ coming.
    i agree with that.

now you also said if i understand it correctly that the sabath as to be observed as christian,here i disagree with you.

you also said that the new convenant as nothing to do with the old one or moses law or convenant,

so this is wath i believe;
    first Jesus said he came and fullfill the law,
    secondly Jesus said that not yota from the law will be taking away,   this seams contredict in a sense,

it does totaly not contredict it self because Christ is talking of two different laws,
    1) the law of Moses implying the ten commandements.
    2) wen he talks abode that, he came to fullfill the law, this was the law of resque,to safe man from the condemnation to deth herithen from adam,now the prophetes have written abode all the things the the messaia will have to go trough ,this is so that the true believer may recognise the Christ, wath they did, in the law it is said that the one who accomplish the law will live through te law,this is wath christ came to accomplish,

regarding the law of moses ten commandement ,well someone all ready mention that for Chritians (true)walking in the spirit will free you from the law ,this does not mean that the law is abolished ,it means that the is made for the sinners,and will be applied if required,but as for christians righteousness they are not under the law because of there good deeds according to the spirit of Christ.

now as for the sabath ;the sabath in law was introdused by God to free man for one full day and in that day do not anything for themselfs
    but think abode there devotion in God.

so for christians the sabath is 24/7 nite and day at the service of God trough Christ there is no more separation in your labor ,your thinking or anything else,you are totaly comitted to God,(or should be )so observing the moses sabath is reducing your comittement to God.

if anyone can prove otherwise please let me know,I be glad to improve the truth in my heart.

————–
    PR  

Report this post to a moderator  

115 replies since Oct. 25 2009,08:01

Moses Sabbath?

The Old Covenant (G-d's Covenant with Physical Israel)

G-d magnified His moral law (the Ten Commandments) to point out sin. (Isa 42:21, Ro 5:13,20)

G-d magnified His system of ceremonial types that pointed to the Messiah. (Ex 25:8,9,40, Ex 25-31, Heb 8:2,5)

G-d magnified His health laws to promote health. (Lev 11:1-47)

G-d formalized a system of civil laws necessary to maintain law and order. (Ex 21-23)

The people mistakenly interpreted the old covenant as a covenant of works. (“We will do.”) (Ex 19:7,8, Ex 24:3,7, Dt 5:27, Ro 9:30-32)

The people believed they could obey the commands in their own power, without help from G-d.

G-d allowed the absense of provisions for divine assistance so the people would come to realize their need for the Messiah. (Gal 3:10,11,19,24,25)

The people made a superficial commitment, rather than one from the heart. (Ex 32:1-4, Dt 5:28,29) (compare 1Sa 16:7 and Eze 36:26)

Hagar is identified as symbolic of the old covenant. (Gal 4:22-24)

Abraham relied on his own works when he attempted to receive the promised son through Hagar, rather than keeping faith in G-d.

Attributes of the old covenant

The peoples' promises were superficial and self righteous. (Heb 8:6)

G-d found fault with the people because they did not remain faithful to it. (Jer 11:6-8, Heb 8:7-9)

Included the ceremonial law (“blood of” Ex 24:8, “ark of” Heb 9:1-12)

Focused on the letter of the law (externalized, mechanical ritual) (2Co 3:6)

Ratified with the blood of an animal sacrifice (Heb 9:19,20)

Mediator (Moses) chosen by the people because of their fear of G-d after hearing Him speak the Ten Commandments. (Ex 20:1,19)

Obsolete (Heb 8:13)

The moral law (the Ten Commandments) is not obsolete.

Not faulty (Ne 9:13, Ps 19:7, Ro 7:7,12, Ro 8:4, Jas 1:25 compare Jas 2:11,12)

Written by G-d's own finger (Ex 31:18, Ex 32:16, Dt 5:22, Ex 34:1)

Spoken by G-d directly to the people (Ex 20:1-17, Dt 5:22, Dt 10:4)

G-d expects obedience to His law. (Pr 28:4,9, Jer 7:8-10, Mt 28:19,20, Ro 7:21-25, Ro 8:7,8, 1Jn 3:4-10)

The moral law played a role in the old covenant, yet was distinct from the agreement itself. (“words of” Ex 34:28) (“tablets of” Dt 9:15, Heb 9:4)

The health laws are not obsolete because our bodies have not changed.

The essence of the civil laws are not obsolete because civil order is still a fundamental necessity.

The ceremonial laws are obsolete because their types have all been realized by the Messiah. (Col 2:14-17)

The New Covenant (G-d's Covenant with Spiritual Israel)

The new covenant is the final realization of G-d's eternal plan of grace through faith. (Gal 3:14-18, Eph 2:8-10)

The people obey the commandments because of their love for G-d. (Jn 14:15,21)

Divine assistance is provided through a personal relationship with the Spirit of the Messiah. (Ro 8:3,4,9,10, 1Co 6:19,20, 2Co 3:18, Gal 5:18, Php 3:7-9)

Attributes of the new covenant

Better promises (Heb 8:6)

G-d puts His laws in our mind and heart (Eze 11:19,20, Heb 8:10 compare 2Co 3:3, Heb 10:16)

Personal relationship with G-d (Heb 8:11)

Sins forgiven and forgotten (Heb 8:12)

Focused on the spirit of the law (internalized, loving commitment) (2Co 3:6)

Ratified with the blood of the Messiah at His death on the cross (Mt 26:28)

Mediator – Yeshua (Heb 12:24)

Eternal (Ge 17:7, Gal 3:8, 2Ti 1:9, Rev 13:8, Rev 14:6)

It is called “new” because it was ratified after the old covenant was ratified. (Heb 9:14,16-18)

The works of the moral law are a fruit of the new covenant, a natural consequence of spiritual transformation. (2Co 5:17, Jas 2:14,20-22,26, Heb 13:20,21)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 205 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account