They know not what they do? More proof

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 238 total)
  • Author
    bodhitharta
    Participant

Luke 23:34
    Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.

Now this is interesting indeed, In what way did they not know what they were doing unless the person speaking is not Jesus, because according to Christians they knew exactly what they were doing and even if they didn’t according to Christian theology he knew exactly what they were doing and that it had to be done, right? so why would Jesus be saying forgive them when if they do not do it the world cannot be saved according to Christian theology.

This person speaking then says

Psalm 22:1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
    Why are you so far from saving me,
    so far from my cries of anguish?

This is connected to this

6 But I am a worm and not a man,
    scorned by everyone, despised by the people.

Jesus was Highly loved and that is a fact so who was this speaking?

There was a moment before any flogging or any injury to Jesus and I believe it is the crucial moment:

Luke 23:12
    That day Herod and Pilate became friends—before this they had been enemies.

What did Pilate and Herod both agree on? the innocence of Jesus and the will to let him go.

Luke 23:2-13New International Version (NIV)

2 And they began to accuse him, saying, “We have found this man subverting our nation. He opposes payment of taxes to Caesar and claims to be Messiah, a king.”

3 So Pilate asked Jesus, “Are you the king of the Jews?”

“You have said so,” Jesus replied.

4 Then Pilate announced to the chief priests and the crowd, “I find no basis for a charge against this man.”

5 But they insisted, “He stirs up the people all over Judea by his teaching. He started in Galilee and has come all the way here.”

6 On hearing this, Pilate asked if the man was a Galilean. 7 When he learned that Jesus was under Herod’s jurisdiction, he sent him to Herod, who was also in Jerusalem at that time.

8 When Herod saw Jesus, he was greatly pleased, because for a long time he had been wanting to see him. From what he had heard about him, he hoped to see him perform a sign of some sort. 9 He plied him with many questions, but Jesus gave him no answer. 10 The chief priests and the teachers of the law were standing there, vehemently accusing him. 11 Then Herod and his soldiers ridiculed and mocked him. Dressing him in an elegant robe, they sent him back to Pilate. 12 That day Herod and Pilate became friends—before this they had been enemies.

notice that the soldiers of Herod only ridiculed and mocked Jesus no harm had come to him

13 Pilate called together the chief priests, the rulers and the people, 14 and said to them, “You brought me this man as one who was inciting the people to rebellion. I have examined him in your presence and have found no basis for your charges against him. 15 Neither has Herod, for he sent him back to us; as you can see, he has done nothing to deserve death. 16 Therefore, I will punish him and then release him.”

These men agreed to let Jesus free and they did

Matthew 27:19
    While Pilate was sitting on the judge’s seat, his wife sent him this message: “Don’t have anything to do with that innocent man, for I have suffered a great deal today in a dream because of him.”

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi BD,

Again you call our master a liar.

Yet you also say he is a mighty messenger from God.

Jesus was given the power to forgive sins-outside of your understanding.

AndrewAD
    Participant

Does anyone besides me wonder just who Jesus was praying for here? I’ve heard fundamentalists say he was praying for the Jews who rejected and condemned him,but that just somehow doesn’t ring true when compared to so many other verses that teach to the contrary.

It seems to me,in the context that he is praying for the Roman soldiers who were ignorantly fulfilling prophecies and Luke’s gospel has mercy to the Gentiles as a prominent theme.And church tradition even says”Luke” is the only Gentile author in the entire bible.

I was talking one day to a person ignorant about the bible who asked me where in the bible is the prayer”Father forgive me for I know not what I do? because an old man down the street is always quoting that.” I just laughed and said it must be his personalization of Jesus prayer on the cross in Luke. I do like the way we can all make the bible our own and that prayer is sometimes quite humbly befitting I think.

And I want to wish everyone here a blessed Good Friday and happy Easter! or maybe just a good weekend!

bodhitharta
    Participant

AndrewAD

You have a good weekend also and God Bless you

AndrewAD
    Participant

Thanks Bod and God bless you too!

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

Those mocking him and directly involved in the death of Jesus were likely to earn the condemnation of God.

Yet they are no different to how people have continued to treat him since, with scorn and distain.

The human heart of Jesus knew the plight of fools acting out of ignorance.

With one of his last breaths he prayed for their situation.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

Love thy neighbour as thyself

They were his neighbours

bodhitharta
    Participant

So did God forgive them although they didn’t believe Jesus

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi BD,

Did God refuse His beloved Son?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Bd,

For your sake though he accepted the will of his Father over his request that his own life be saved.

AndrewAD
    Participant

But did God answer the human heart of Jesus? humanity is flesh and just who did Jesus pray for? Are you saying he was praying for those Jews who condemned him?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

All his current neighbours.

Do unto others as you would have them do for you

AndrewAD
    Participant

So Jesus prayer was just a vain kindly wish then? that’s nice since I have prayers and wishes like that too. But didn’t Jesus teach us to pray in faith,believing that we shall receive whatever we pray for? but of course sometimes it just might not be God’s will so our prayers go unanswered.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

Wait till the final judgement and see if the prayers of the Son of God go unanswered.

Mercy triumphs over judgement

AndrewAD
    Participant

So all will be saved then or is it all the Jews? And why should it bother you if Jesus prayers go unanswered since he was just a man and not a divine being? Do unanswered prayers make someone a sinner? I think not!

kerwin
    Participant

Bodhitharta,

Psalms 22 is pathos not logos. Its purpose is to express emotion not logical reasoning. It tells us about feeling abandoned by God. Jesus quoted words from it and some apply to him specifically but it has always applied to others who feel abandoned by God. It is also designed to encourage such individuals; providing they believe its words.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

Are all men your neighbours?

Jesus defined them.

God is looking for any reason to show His mercy as His judgement is fearful.

AndrewAD
    Participant

Hi Nick,

That’s a very good answer that God is just looking to be merciful so he will answer the human Jesus prayer and save all!  Now I know you are a secret universalist just disguising yourself as being so judgmental to all.Praise Jesus!!

bodhitharta
    Participant

God is looking for any reason to show His mercy as His judgement is fearful.

Why when I say that you protest?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

No not a universalist.

But God does want all to be saved.

The requirement are not arduous but rebellious men refuse His kind offer.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 238 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account