Quotation marks test

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Proclaimer
    Participant

“ ” Cool
    “” Not cool (I think)

Lightenup
    Participant

Trying to figure out this new quoting technique.

<span style=”color: #000000;”>Not cool (I think)</span>

<span style=”color: #000000;”>Not cool (I think)</span>

Not cool (I think)

The first attempt was using ‘visual'(which failed) and the last successful attempt was using ‘text'(which was successful).

What did I do wrong when using the ‘visual’ set-up?

Proclaimer
    Participant

Visual relies on you using the toolbar. It is a WYSIWYG editor (What you see is what you get).

If you put code into the visual tab, then what you see is what you get, i.e., the code itself.

Think of Visual Mode as MS Word. If you put code into MS Word it shows the code.

Instead, when in visual mode, make sure the last icon in the top row or only row is clicked down.

If so, you will get a second row. Select some text and click the A icon and see what happens.

asdas asdasd asd asd as d asd as d

Lightenup
    Participant

Thanks Admin, I will try.

Trying to get color in visual mode:

This is<span style=”color: #ff0000;”> red.</span>

This is <span style=”color: #3366ff;”>blue</span>.

Lightenup
    Participant

That did not work. I selected the word ‘red’ and clicked on the <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>A</span> icon but it just showed the code but not the word in red.

Lightenup
    Participant

So frustrated, I tried to underline the A in the above post by clicking on the icon with the U underlined but instead of underlining the ‘A’ it showed code words. Arrrgh.

Lightenup
    Participant

Before I submit my post, I select a word then click on the ‘A underlined’ icon and the word will be in the chosen color. But when I submit the post, the color goes away and the code appears. What am I doing wrong??

Proclaimer
    Participant

LU, here is the code:

<span style="color: #ff0000;">red</span>

<span style="color: #0000ff;">blue</span>

Renders as:

red
    blue

I just copied your code and pasted it in Text mode. Text mode is for code.
    Visual mode is different, it works like MS Word. You apply styles using the toolbar. If you post code in visual mode, then it will show the code.

But one more IMPORTANT thing to note. Your code used curly quotations, when they have to be straight.

HTML strictly uses straight quotations, " not .

Proclaimer
    Participant

Before I submit my post, I select a word then click on the ‘A underlined’ icon and the word will be in the chosen color. But when I submit the post, the color goes away and the code appears. What am I doing wrong??

Not sure what you are doing wrong. Sounds like you are correctly using Visual mode to format the text from your description, but perhaps you are then going into Text mode and pasting it later on back in visual mode?

If this is what you are doing, my advice is to stick with one mode or the other. I switch between the two myself, but I bear in mind that pasting code has to always be in text mode.

If you are staying in Visual mode, then can I ask you what OS and browser you are using. I might be able to trouble shoot the problem if I know that. Regardless the curly quotes are probably causing these issues, but I am wondering how they get there instead of the straight ones.

MS Word can convert straight quotations to curly ones. Perhaps you are constructing your posts in Word and pasting here? If so, there is a setting in Word that preserves straight quotes that you will need to activate.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Try copying this code in Text mode, the look at it in Visual mode and back to Text mode.
    It will help you understand the difference. You don’t have to post it. Just try that out.

<span style="color: #ff0000;">red</span>

<span style="color: #0000ff;">blue</span>

🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account