Is observing christmas and easter ok?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 549 total)
  • Author
    Eliyah
    Participant

Is observing christmas and easter ok? What's your views?

Do you hide bunny eggs so your kids can search for them?

Does St.Nick come down your chimney ? Does he leave you and your children gifts in the dead of winter?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi eliyah,
    Surely you know these are of the whore of Babylon?

Eliyah
    Participant

Oh yea Nick, however, what is the scriptures views against such customs and traditions?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi eliyah,
    Let me say it for you
    SYNCRETISM.

Pure folly.

Eliyah
    Participant

Well, we agree on something after all, and I totally agree with that statement.

However, can you or anyone show some scriptures against these pagan customs?

david
    Participant

I can. But I don't want to.

I'm going to bed. Actually, why don't we make this a little more interesting. What light does the Bible shed on the birthday celebration? How does the God's Word and history portray birthdays? (2 Tim 3:16,17) Where do the customs come from? The cake? The candles? The wish? The birthday greetings? What do the two birthday accounts in the Bible reveal? What of history?

david.

Eliyah
    Participant

Yea David,

Why don't you show and explain all these and the scriptures too concering these things.

liljon
    Participant

I go to church on easter. But I go about every week to. I still get christmass presents (not as much since I'm older). Santa is blashphemy– “He knows when you are sleeping” and he gives rewards for people who are good. Doesn't God do the same?

NickHassan
    Participant

No He doesn't liljon.
    None are good.  
    All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.
    Our righteousness is as filthy rags.
    Faith in religion is faith in nothing.

Salvation is only in the Son.

If you are not safe in the Son then you will awake into the second resurrection. Then your works will be taken into account but the only works of value are those you have done to the sons of God.

“Whatever you did for these, my little ones, you did for me”

Eliyah
    Participant

Here is one place where you can find out about the pagan relics.

Just click on the pictures.

http://www.sabbatarian.com/Paganism/Photos.html

MrBob
    Participant

Interesting site Eliyah, thanks for the link. It's amazing how much crap is around us, and how much we accept or not notice it.

I celebrated Christmas like everyone else. I also used to believe that Santa was alright to embrace. After awhile though, I realized that the Santa story to children is lying. There's no way around it. The only rebuttal I've heard against this goes along the lines of “C'mon it's Santa.” The last time I checked the scriptures, we were not supposed to be conformed to this world.

I do not believe someone will burn for celebrating it either. The difference is not the holiday itself, but the reasons for celetbrating it. If someone celebrates Christmas because he or she is truly celebrating the birth of Yahweh's son, I can't see how God would get mad at that.

I want to celebrate, but in a different way–as a second passover (Jesus is our passover). I also would like to learn more about the Jewish holidays. I know the ones I've read about aren't required anymore, but are there any profitable holidays for Yahweh?

david
    Participant

Suppose a crowd come to a gentleman’s home saying they are there to celebrate his birthday. He does not favor the celebration of birthdays. He does not like to see people overeat or get drunk or engage in loose conduct. But some of them do all those things, and they bring presents for everyone there except him! On top of all that, they pick the birthday of one of the man’s enemies as the date for the celebration. How would the man feel? Would you want to be a party to it?

MrBob
    Participant

Point taken. But who says there are no gifts for him?

I've also been told that the “true Christmas” would be in September, because if his birth was in winter, the animals would be at the lowest level of the dwelling, allowing heat to rise throughout the dwelling. Is this true?

david
    Participant

Ya, it's true. There are about 5 reasons, biblical and otherwise, why his birth could not be on Christmas. A couple of them involve weather.

When I celebrated Christmas, I don't remember gifts ever being given to Jesus. Maybe I was in the wrong circles. I remember it being highly about self. But then again, I was young.

david
    Participant

M’Clintock and Strong’s Cyclopædia says: “The observance of Christmas is not of divine appointment, nor is it of N[ew] T[estament] origin. The day of Christ’s birth cannot be ascertained from the N[ew] T[estament], or, indeed, from any other source.”—(New York, 1871), Vol. II, p. 276.

Luke 2:8-11 shows that shepherds were in the fields at night at the time of Jesus’ birth. The book Daily Life in the Time of Jesus states: “The flocks . . . passed the winter under cover; and from this alone it may be seen that the traditional date for Christmas, in the winter, is unlikely to be right, since the Gospel says that the shepherds were in the fields.”—(New York, 1962), Henri Daniel-Rops, p. 228.

The Encyclopedia Americana informs us: “The reason for establishing December 25 as Christmas is somewhat obscure, but it is usually held that the day was chosen to correspond to pagan festivals that took place around the time of the winter solstice, when the days begin to lengthen, to celebrate the ‘rebirth of the sun.’ . . . The Roman Saturnalia (a festival dedicated to Saturn, the god of agriculture, and to the renewed power of the sun), also took place at this time, and some Christmas customs are thought to be rooted in this ancient pagan celebration.”—(1977), Vol. 6, p. 666.

The New Catholic Encyclopedia acknowledges: “The date of Christ’s birth is not known. The Gospels indicate neither the day nor the month . . . According to the hypothesis suggested by H. Usener . . . and accepted by most scholars today, the birth of Christ was assigned the date of the winter solstice (December 25 in the Julian calendar, January 6 in the Egyptian), because on this day, as the sun began its return to northern skies, the pagan devotees of Mithra celebrated the dies natalis Solis Invicti (birthday of the invincible sun). On Dec. 25, 274, Aurelian had proclaimed the sun-god principal patron of the empire and dedicated a temple to him in the Campus Martius. Christmas originated at a time when the cult of the sun was particularly strong at Rome.”—(1967), Vol. III, p. 656.

david
    Participant

So, Easter is coming.

Of course, we are commanded to memorialize the Lord's death, but this has little to do with Easter.

What is the origin this “Christian” celebration and the customs associated with it?

The Encyclopædia Britannica comments:

“There is no indication of the observance of the Easter festival in the New Testament, or in the writings of the apostolic Fathers. The sanctity of special times was an idea absent from the minds of the first Christians.”—(1910), Vol. VIII, p. 828.

The Catholic Encyclopedia tells us:

“A great many pagan customs, celebrating the return of spring, gravitated to Easter. The egg is the emblem of the germinating life of early spring. . . . The rabbit is a pagan symbol and has always been an emblem of fertility.”—(1913), Vol. V, p. 227.

In the book The Two Babylons, by Alexander Hislop, we read:

“What means the term Easter itself? It is not a Christian name. It bears its Chaldean origin on its very forehead. Easter is nothing else than Astarte, one of the titles of Beltis, the queen of heaven, whose name, . . . as found by Layard on the Assyrian monuments, is Ishtar. . . . Such is the history of Easter. The popular observances that still attend the period of its celebration amply confirm the testimony of history as to its Babylonian character. The hot cross buns of Good Friday, and the dyed eggs of Pasch or Easter Sunday, figured in the Chaldean rites just as they do now.”—(New York, 1943), pp. 103, 107, 108; compare Jeremiah 7:18.

Easter, another pagan Babylonish celebration that Christendom now celebrates.

LUKE 16:10
    “The person faithful in what is least is faithful also in much, and the person unrighteous in what is least is unrighteous also in much.”

This scripture could be applied to Christendom. If they have no problem accepting paganism and Babylinian practices into their religion, as with the two obvious examples of Christmas and Easter, why would we think they couldn't do the same with Babylonish ideas (such as the trinity)?

I believe to observe the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ and to observe his ressurection is key to our salvation. Without these two happenings we have no salvation. Giving gifts at christmas I see not as wrong. For it is better to give than recieve, and to sacrifice your money to get something someone needs. Which should not be only a one day thing, we should help all the time.
    Although I do abhor how commercialized and non-christian it has become. Most people become wrapped up in the rush of Christmas, and the give me, give me, give me of the holiday. Now Santa gives you a present, on the same day that God the Father gave us a present. Santa(which is kinda weird in that if you scramble the letters it says Satan, which could be just a coincidence) is the one who sees you if your sleeping, and rewards those whom have done good, and punish those with coal who did bad. It seems to be easier now a days to believe he mysteriously comes down a 1' by 1' chimney stack(after all those cookies he has eaten), with his belly( shakes like a bowl full of jelly) and a huge sack of toys(which holds all the children of the world's toys) after flying in on magical flying reindeer who pull a huge and heavy sled, to dump off the toys they really want(which kids have demanded from santa as long as they are good), eat the food, and get the heck outta there(the same way he came down,[now the first time gravity might have helped him], but not this time), and fly to the next house, YET HAS NEVER TRULY BEEN SEEN. Then to believe in an Almighty God. Christmas of today was truly the Birth of The Almighty Santa(or Satan). Satan takes the goodness of God and swirls it about until he gets what he wants people to see.
    Now we come to Easter. Oh boy, atleast Santa is a man, and not a 6' bunny who would truly frighten most kids. Again this wonderful day of the Ressurection of Our Lord(and God), Jesus Christ has been turned into an atrocity. Commercialization of Easter, and again the gimme spirit attacks. Now a 6' bunny parades around the world, hiding eggs(of no real value) for little kids to find(when they should be looking for salvation). So instead of finding truth they find an egg, instead of getting eternal life they get a basket of chocolate, instead of seeing the miracle of Easter they see the commercialization of Easter. They are being taught that is a holiday for tradition, same as Christmas. The fact the word Christmas has Christ in it is irrelavent to people.
    The workers of Satan know what importance these two days have to us. So they belittle them and try to take God out of both. They say, “let there be no association of God or Christ in these two days for we are a nation not bound by one religion but many”. But they use guile and deception to trick those who are not yet saved.

david
    Participant

I believe you make some good points.

Where does the Bible say to celebrate Christmas?
    Why did the early Christians not only not celebrate Christmas, but shun the birthday celebration as well?
    Where does the Bible say that mixing ancient pagan fertility rites with Christianity is ok? I think it says quite the opposite.

I believe to observe the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ… is key to our salvation.

The early Christians must have been unaware of this “key” to salvation.

The only scriptural celebration that we are commanded to memorialize or remember is the Lord's evening meal, “Keep doing this in remembrance of me,” he said.
    But this has little to do with “easter,” the name of a false god. Pagan fertility sex rites and Jesus death do not go together and what makes you think that mixing the two would be ok?
    Of course, there is nothing wrong with giving. But why take a special day that is connected to paganism, and certainly not the date of Jesus' birth (actaully the date of the birth of the invincible sun (dies natalies solis invictis, or something like that) and use that as the day to give people gifts. It's not really a giving of gifts, as it is an “exchanging” of gifts, as was practiced during the Roman Saturnalia. Everything you see at Christmas time (evergreens, holly, mistletoe, lights, exchanging of gifts, st nick) have roots in paganism. The date of his birth is a lie. The 3 wise men are actually an unspecified number of astrologers who visited the “house” where Jesus was by then, not the manger. More lies.
    Jesus said: “For this I have been born and for this I have come into the world, to bear witness to the truth…” Christmas is lies. What do the two have in common? Nothing.
    Of course Jesus birth on earth was important. It was important because he had to be born so that he could die a sacrificial death.
    “A name is better than good oil, and the day of death than the day of one’s being born.” (Ecclesiastes 7:1)
    It is his death we are commanded to commemorate.

Santa(which is kinda weird in that if you scramble the letters it says Satan, which could be just a coincidence)

Coincidence?

jbl
    Participant

I don't know if this could be considered relevant to Christmas, as there was no such thing when the scriptures were written. I'm sure everyone may have seen these:

Jeremiah 10:2 says
    “Do not learn the ways of the nations”

and continues:

3 For the customs of the peoples are worthless;
    they cut a tree out of the forest,
    and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel.
    4 They adorn it with silver and gold;
    they fasten it with hammer and nails
    so it will not totter.
    5 Like a scarecrow in a melon patch,
    their idols cannot speak;
    they must be carried
    because they cannot walk.
    Do not fear them;
    they can do no harm
    nor can they do any good.”
    Jeremiah 10:3-5

By practicing Christmas, aren't we violating these scriptures? YHWH depicts these customs as being “worthless”. By bringing an image into our house, decorating it, and giving this object undeserved glory, haven't we created an idol, as stated in these scirptures? Now, people don't bow down and worship the Christmas tree, however, I understand December 25th was associated with these similar customs honouring pagan gods. It seems like Christians are indirectly continuing that worship.

seekingtruth
    Participant

5One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. 8If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

9For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. 10You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. 11It is written:
    ” 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord,
    'every knee will bow before me;
    every tongue will confess to God.' “[a] 12So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 549 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account