Called and Chosen.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    davidH
    Participant

Matt 20:16.  Many are called but few are chosen.

There is a thought ,theology that before jesus reigns for 1000 years there are certain people God wants,  everyone is called but there are certain ones who he has chosen to reign with jesus in the 1000 years, It is supported by what paul says that blindnessin part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the gentiles has come in, meaning therc is a certain amount of people that God wants, then the end times will happen.  What do you all think of the original phrase, not just hwat I have printed.

AndrewAD
    Participant

I find it interesting that most manuscripts don’t contain the phrase”for many be called,but few chosen”,but only “so the last shall be first and the first last”. Which in the context of the parable of the labourers in the vineyard it makes sense since those hired last were paid first.So if you include the phrase”for many be called but few chosen”,then who would the chosen be? It would be the last imo since they received the same amount of money for the least amount of work-a special grace if you will.All the workers chose to work,but it was only the first called that agreed to a certain wage.So they were all called and chosen to work in the landowners vineyard,but the last were lucky to receive the same wage as the first.

This parable like Luke’s prodigal son express the same idea of the Jews grumbling at the Christians who claim they are the ones in possession of God’s covenant.It can also be looked at as the poor being chosen by God over the rich,or those more fortunate in this world in spite of whom has done the most work.

Rom 11 does express some of the same ideas in that fleshly Israel is Gods’ olive tree-or the ones whom God originally made his covenant with but the majority of them have been rejected due their ingratitude,arrogance,and unbelief in Gods grace.It’s the remnant who will be saved-the chosen.

In Revelation 20 it’s the martyrs that reign with Christ-the martyrs resurrection is the first resurrection and these are said to be priests of God and Christ and will reign with Him.Although Jesus did promise his original twelve disciples that they would be the ones to sit on twelve thrones and judge the twelve tribes.Matt 19:28

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

All who are led by the Spirit are beheaded.

They have been buried with Christ in baptism and Christ is their head.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

Are you not confusing Mt 22.14 with

Mt 19.30, Mk 10.31, Lk 13.30  and Mt20.16?

AndrewAD
    Participant

No I wasn’t confusing any scriptures.Did you read the passage in discussion?

Yes many verses speak of the first being last and the last first.In the KJV Matt20:16 has the phrase “for many be called,but few chosen” added to “so the last shall be first and the first last”. Look up that verse Matt 20:16 in most other translations and the “many be called but few chosen” part is not there.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

True.

AndrewAD
    Participant

But Nick,I’ve yet to read that verse that says we are beheaded in baptism or the one which says those who are led of the spirit are beheaded.

Ed J
    Participant

Matt 20:16. Many are called but few are chosen.

Hi David H,

Have you not considered that this is the possible meaning to that phraseology…

“Many are called” ……. …many are called to deliver God’s message
    “Few are Chosen” ….. …but few are chosen as the 40 biblical writers

Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    ”Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.” – JEHOVAH GOD

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Ed,

Any supporting verses??

Context helpful??

Ed J
    Participant

Hi Nick,

1. In Matthew 20:1-16, where this phrase is used, Jesus is talking about the laborers in God’s vineyard.
    Who are the laborers in God’s vineyard? I say the biblical writers + the many that deliver God’s message.

2. “The Lord gave “The Word”: great was the company of those that published it.” (Psalms 68:11)
    Note: this verse is NOT talking about the King James publishing company, but BELIEVERS.

3. “our hands have handled, of the Word of life;” (1 John 1:1)

4. “Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before of God, even to us,
    who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead. And he commanded us to preach unto the people,
    and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.

(Acts 10:40-42)

Keep in mind Nick, I’m not asking you to believe as I do,
    I’m just showing you the evidence of why I believe as I do.

http://www.holycitybiblecode.org _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    ”Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.” – JEHOVAH GOD

Ed J
    Participant

And #5

Brother Saul, receive thy sight. And the same hour I looked up upon him. 14 And he said,
    The God of our fathers hath chosen thee, that thou shouldest know his will, and see that Just One,
    and shouldest hear the voice of his mouth. For thou shalt be his witness unto all men
    of what thou hast seen and heard.” (Acts 22:13-15)

Grasshopper
    Participant

“Many are called but few are chosen.”

I think it is quite simple when you really think about it. After contemplation, I realized it could simply mean that even though many are called, not all will obey. The ones that DO obey are the ones that will be chosen.

A reference to the narrow gate, so to speak.

~~~~~~~~~
    Grasshopper

Grasshopper
    Participant

In other words…many are called, but still do not live in Christ or by Christ or for Christ. The ones who DO live in, by and for Christ ARE chosen because they are the righteous ones…they prove they are Sons of God by their obedience to Christ.

~
    G

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Ed,

So no evidence.

Do you think writers are very important in the vineyard work?

Are they included among the healers, teachers, preachers etc that are mentioned as being in the service of God??

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Ed,

First you must find ONE scripture that says what you feel is true.

Then find one or two witnessing scriptures that also say it.

Showing  a few verses that may align to some degree with your thoughts is not relevant.

It just makes your thoughts the truth.

Ed J
    Participant

(1) Showing a few verses that may align to some degree with your thoughts is not relevant.

(2) It just makes your thoughts the truth.

Hi Nick,

1) It is relevant to show where my ideas came from (1Pet.3:15)
    2) No, but my thoughts may be revealing truth (ref. Prov.25:2)

“Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.” (1 Thess 5:24)

Ed J
    Participant

Hi Ed,

(1) Do you think writers are very important in the vineyard work?

(2) Are they included among the healers, teachers, preachers etc that are mentioned as being in the service of God??

Hi Nick,

1) Yes, essential
    2) If by “ect” you mean “Prophets” and “Apostles” then the answer is YES

Ed J
    Participant

The ones that DO obey are the ones that will be chosen.

Hi Grasshopper,

Your reasoning is circular

Grasshopper
    Participant

@EdJ

I’m guessing you do not comprehend what I was getting at. The simple way of putting it is that the chosen were called as were many others. The dividing line occurs when many who are called do not stay faithful. Thus, only a few are chosen (the few who REMAIN faithful unto death) amongst those who have been called.

Nothing circular about it…I just choose to not OVER complicate things unnecessarily.

~~~~~~~~~
    Grasshopper

~~~~~~~~~

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Ed,

Just your opinion then?

God does not seem to say what you say about these matters

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account